RE: Which is better buying options at the close or the open?

Options are one instrument that is conducive to a LIMIT order for one
thing.....
the answer to your question is:

buying options: CLOSE (your risk is limited....so what if it gaps open
against you)

selling options naked (or credit spreads): OPEN (risk is much higher here,
best to put it on after prices settle down)

IMHO.