Installing Win2000

Seth and Jim,

I have just gone through installing Win2000 over Win98. I chose the NTFS
file system which entails automatic reformatting of the hard disk during
install. Expecting all files to be overwritten, I duly saved anything of
value on as many zip disks.

What was my surprise when I noticed all of my files and folders still
existing on the newly formatted drive! The install procedure had copied them
on the fly  onto the NTFS tracks. Three cheers for Microsoft!

Of course, as I had chosen a clean install (NOT choosing the upgrade
option!), none of my old program files had any registry entries. They were
merely existing as files. This was ideal for my purposes - making it
possible to get rid of all of the junk I had downloaded over the years. So I
deleted most of the old files, but had the large data folders for Quote.com
and Quotes Plus and AdvancedGET and OptionVue etc. still at my disposal when
reinstalling these applications. Not to forget the .pst files with thousands
of emails in Outlook2000.

Let me add that I am extremely happy with Win2000. No crash in more than a
month of heavy duty operation.

Regards,

Michael