DTN Log.txt

TS2k/DTN users might want to check the interesting file in Omega
Research\Server\DTN\log.txt.  This log file reports I/O and other errors
having to do with Global Server data handling.  Log.txt had grown to 16mb by
the time I noticed it.  [You can delete it periodically if it gets too big;
it rebuilds automatically.]  My log.txt is filled with thousands of error
messages about buffer overruns and lost data.  Apparently GS does not handle
data coming out of the serial port buffer very well and thus ticks are
dropped.  I have had many contacts with Omega about dropped ticks and the
existence of this file was never revealed to me.  Now I see why; it
demonstrates data loss between the serial port and GS which cannot be blamed
on DTN.

I run Ts2k SP4 on a PII450, 256mb, NT4 SP6, EIDE hard drive computer with
the Pacific Commware high speed serial card set to 460,800kbps.  This card
has the 16750 UART which has the largest data buffers available.  Another
list member and DTN user has a dual processor machine with PII450's, 256mb
NT4 SP6, SCSI hard drive and the same high speed serial card.  He does not
get these buffer overruns unless he is also using software in addition to
Ts2k and thus stressing I/O even more.  We cannot explain this discrepancy
in performance between our 2 systems.  Maybe the dual processors help.  I
don't know.

A long term solution to dropped ticks is a switch from the serial port to
the Ethernet port on the DTN D8000 receiver.  The Ethernet port will provide
200 times the bandwidth of the serial port.  DTN is in the process of
implementing this change now.   To date Omega has not expressed any
willingness to support an Ethernet connection.

Omega admits to the same buffer overrun messages on in-house DTN computers.
Do other DTN users have buffer overrun error messages in log.txt and is any
solution known.

Bill Wood