RE: SP4 - ALL CLEAR YET ?

On Tue, 28 Dec 1999, M. Simms wrote:

> Other than this minor bug, can anyone give the "ALL CLEAR" signal for this
> important release which I understand solves some performance problems.....at
> least as far as workspace loading goes...

I don't believe the issue is a 'binary' one, with TS2k being either Ok or
not OK. Instead, it would seem more reasonable to expect a series of
fixes, each one fixing some things (but not all), and introducing some
brand new problems. After many iterations, TS2k may settle into something
that is stable enough to use. For TS4, it took about 17 major revisions
to get it to a reasonably stable point.

It might be that we'll have to wait until SP17 to do the same. Why so
long? Only the major, crash-producing or serious performance issues will
be tackled first. We seem to be in that mode currently, with frequent
crashes still reported by several folks. It might take a few releases to
fix these major problems (we're on #4 now). After these major items are
fixed, attention can go to less serious problems. This is likely to take
several tries, too. Finally, the minor problems, including those of the
not-so-easy-to-reproduce kind might be worked on. If it takes 3-4 tries
for each class of problems, we're up to SP10-12.

The point at which it is considered stable will probably vary for
different people. Stability might be declared first by those folks who
have a few simple workspaces, with a few simple indicators, and just let
TS2k run without much input during operation. I would guess that serious
developers, with complex workspaces, many indicators and/or data items,
global variables, DLL's, etc might have the most problems, as would those
who have a great deal of input while TS is running during the day.

My guess is SP10 to SP15 before the level of problems is low enough to be
declared 'OK' or 'ALL CLEAR" by most of us.

What's your guess?

Larry