RE: HACKER alert 12 / 22 ...................Be carrefull

Emmanuel, list:

You might be interested in knowing that the IP address string that starts
with 192.168 etc most commonly is associated with private IP addresses that
are connected to the internet via a proxy server or firewall or router or
some mechanism which acts as an intermediary between the "real" IP address
and the rest of the internet.

For example, I'm at my in-laws for the holidays and have attached my laptop
to their home network. Machines on the "inside of the network" all have an
IP address that start with 192.168 etc. Only the proxy server machine has a
network card within it that has a "real" (i.e. visible to the internet)
address, which is completely different.

There are conventions for the assignment and use of such invisible and
visible address ranges.

The short story in all this? Your statement >> his address was
192.168.10.29. << is only partially correct. There are probably dozens, if
not thousands, of machines on the network that might share that same
address. Which means that tracking the person down is not made easier by
knowing only that piece of information....

It makes sense to take some precautions

- be sure you have up to date virus checking software installed;
- if you are using DSL or cable modem and therefore are more or less
permanently connected, be sure you do not have File and Print sharing
enabled on the machine that is connected to the internet;
- consider not connecting, and in fact, shutting your machines down, over
the New Years event time horizon... unless you are quite certain that you've
taken the neccessary precautions to protect your machines.
- 90% of computer users fail to back up their machines. Try to make this a
practice -- if not your whole installation, at least the data.

Best wishes for the season,
Michael