RE: TradeStation.com? Let's Speculate

On Fri, 24 Dec 1999, Bengtsson, Mats wrote:

> Let me repeat my belief: The stock market world consists of more than the US
> stock market. A Tradestation.com solution will not be able to give me the
> information I want from my stock market, that is better done by local
> distributors.

Problem #1 with the new approach: you will get ONLY what Omega wants you
to get - nothing else. Likely to be even more closed than the current
closed approach.

> I do thus prefer an open version of the current Tradestation
                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^
Me too, but this is exactly what Omega is trying to get away from.

> "get everything we want to deliver while you are online",
                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That's all you'll get...

Will I be able to get continuous tick contracts, adjusted to *my* specific
desires? Not likely, unless they provide a local way to store and
manipulate data, and then we're back to some kind of server. Will they be
able to give me a long data series with 7-tick bars? If they are able to
do all these things, they will need some kind of server.

Given their past problems with servers, it make me wonder...

> I do believe Tradestation to be a good product but intentionaly crippled.

Unfortunately, this is true.

> Could we only get Omega Research to think in terms of customer needs rather
> than protection of their market...

Very unlikely. Why should they change?

When the new stuff arrives, OR will have a massive barrage of their usual
hype and convince most folks that 'less' is 'more'.

Larry