How to score a 99.99%.

Anybody know where I can find Sherwood forest?

**********
http://www.wbn.com/y2ktimebomb/Washington/Whitehouse/wb9951.htm

You have 100 mission critical systems. You fix 50 of them. 50 divided by
100 = 50%. So on your first report to me you tell me you are 50% compliant.

On the next report you show me that you have only 75 mission critical
systems, since you determined 25 of that original 100 were not mission
critical after all...you made a mistake, you don't really know what mission
critical means, etc. So you "reclassified" 25 systems to get them off your
report. You still only have the 50 systems fixed at this point so 50
divided by 75 = 67%.

So, without even increasing the number you've fixed, your percent compliant
went from 50% to 67%. Just by getting rid of some of them. To the
uninformed it appears you are making great progress. Easy enough? Want to
be 100% compliant someday? You could do that right now if you just
reclassify everything but the ones you've already fixed: get rid of 25 more.

On your final report, instead of showing me you had 75 systems total to be
fixed, you tell me you only have 50, because you determined all those
others (25 more) were not mission critical after all...you made a mistake,
or someone in one of your agencies told you they were critical, but what
does he know? And this is the last report before the deadline so you'd just
better have everything fixed. You have to, because your boss said you had to.

You now have 50 mission critical systems listed, and you have fixed 50, so
50 divided by 50 = 1.00, which is the same as 100%. Okay, sounds too much
like creative accounting to say you are 100% done, so you can call it 99.9%
-- you still have just one little thing to wrap up. THEN YOU'LL BE 100%.

In the table below you see that in November 1997 the government had
identified 8,589 mission critical systems. Watch the numbers drop leading
up to the deadline the president set to have them all completed: 31 March
1999. An all time low count of 6,123. Government reported 92% compliant at
that point and had taken 2,466 mission critical systems off the mission
critical list. THEN the count starts up again. (Maybe no one will notice!?)

NOW...look at the "final" report data that Congressman Horn released with
his "Report Card." (Mr. Horn has also been critical of the government's
lack of progress.) The count was up to 6,438 in November 1999. Back to
about where it was a year ago.

"The conveniences and comforts of humanity in general
will be linked up by one mechanism, which will produce
comforts and conveniences beyond human imagination.
But the smallest mistake will bring the whole mechanism
to a certain collapse. In this way the end of the world
will be brought about."
Pir-o-Murshid Inayat Khan, 1922 (Sufi Prophet)