Problems with Windows update

I was trying to apply the Y2K update for Windows 95 to an older PC yesterday
and ran into some problems. I downloaded the update from the Microsoft site
and then ran program. In the middle of running the update, it asked me if I
wanted to download the update for Explorer 4.0 because there were some
patches needed for it. I answered yes and it proceeded to download the
Explorer update and run that update also. After these updates ran, it
informed me that a shutdown was required and when I answered ok, it shutdown
and rebooted. Here's the problem, upon restarting, I get a dialog box to log
into the network, I enter the password, it continues to start up and then I
get the message: "This program has performed an illegal function and will be
shutdown." When I click on details the only thing I can understand is that
it involves a .dll file. Right now I can't remember the complete name, if
that's important I'll go back and find it out. This happens before I get the
desktop displayed so there's nothing I can do to try to work around it. Any
suggestions?
This is a 486 PC with 16 meg RAM in a low stess environment( a small church
library), so I don't know if it can be updated to win98 and explorer 5.0
without more memory. I know the church would not want to spring for the
expense if it didn't have to.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.