Re: Computer for Trade Station

In a message dated 12/9/99 8:14:14 PM Pacific Standard Time,
owen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Actually, I have one in the Celeron machine I'm using now.  After most of a
>  year,
>  I've only experienced two glitches that I thought had been caused by the
>  hardware, and both of them were on days when the summer sun was baking in
>  and the room temperature was over 90.  This InWin box could use better air
>  flow, and maybe another fan.

That's good, but statistically, they are less stable than average. They are
built for speed and overclocking. Your average Ferrari will run rings around
a Hyundai, but spend more time in the shop getting fixed.

>  Note that neither Asus nor Abit will admit to producing a board for the
>  Athlon,
>  though an Asus board reportedly can be found in unmarked boxes if you know
>  where to look.  (I don't.)  In any case, the FIC board comes off better in
>  reviews.

I sure haven't seen those reviews! Every one I've seen is not kind towards
the FIC. Asus motherboards are not only available, but a coworker got a pc
built on an Asus last week at a local mom-and-pop shop. Only issue he's had
so far is some weird stereo 3-d drivers (for 3d glasses) for his TNT2 video
card. BTW, the Compaq and NEC Athlons are built on the FIC card if you like
the FIC.