Re: Computer for Trade Station

Among other useful comments, Sigstroker observed:

>ABIT's [motherboards] are not known for their stability, so that's probably
something you
>want to avoid unless you like lots of gaps in your data.

Actually, I have one in the Celeron machine I'm using now.  After most of a
year,
I've only experienced two glitches that I thought had been caused by the
hardware, and both of them were on days when the summer sun was baking in
and the room temperature was over 90.  This InWin box could use better air
flow, and maybe another fan.

Note that neither Asus nor Abit will admit to producing a board for the
Athlon,
though an Asus board reportedly can be found in unmarked boxes if you know
where to look.  (I don't.)  In any case, the FIC board comes off better in
reviews.

For lots of info on this sort of thing, check out the forms at
www.arstechnica.com
and the reviews at www.anandtech.com .  Great resources for the hardware
freak, and good material on operating systems at Ars Technica.

Owen Davies