Re: stock question

In a message dated 12/3/99 6:14:45 AM Pacific Standard Time,
ronin@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> > I've noticed a bunch of stock trades  (nasdaq) always coming in starting
>  an
>  > hour or two BEFORE the market opens. Meanwhile I SIT with a standing
order
>  > that won't get executed UNTIL the market opens.
>  >
>  > Questions: Who is doing these trades before the real market opens? Why do
>  us
>  > mere mortals have to WAIT? Something stinks around here.
>
>  I believe these trades are done on Selectnet, Instinet, various ECNs,etc.
>  You should hook up with some daytrading outfit or a derivative of it and
>  trade through them in order to access these markets (like Datek). But it's
>  been a while since I've traded equities ('96) and a lot have changed since
>  then - Datek went from a "scum" daytrading/SOES bandits outfit (from a
>  Market Maker's point of view) to a retail online brokerage firm. Can you
>  believe that? :-)

NOT Selectnet, only on ECN's, of which Instinet is one. Many online brokers
offer off-hours trading besides the high-end outfits like MB Trading,
Cyberborker, etc. Etrade executes through Instinet, Datek through Island,
etc. BTW, "scum" Datek/ISLD is now the premier ECN. Market makers themselves
often use it to disguise their moves. ISLD has even applied for exchange
status.