Other Languages

I have been following the recent articles on creating a DLL with PowerBasic
and had a general question for the list.

As a neophyte programmer (knowledgeable and proficient in EL with Variables,
Loops, and Arrays - but no real experience with basic, pascal, or C/C++),
which would be the best language to learn in order to write App's and DLL's
to be used in conjunction with TS or as standalone utilities?

I would imagine that C/C++ is the most powerful, but also the most difficult
to learn.  Powerbasic looks pretty interesting after reading the recent
articles.  Delphi seems to be another viable alternative.

Which language gives a new user the most bang for the buck?  Which one is
the easiest to master, offers the flexibility needed, offers the most
support (user groups, newsgroups, books, etc.), and is the quickest and
easiest to get the job done with?

I realize that these are all very subjective questions, but any feedback and
dialogue would be helpful I think.  Looking forward to hearing everyone's
views.

Andrew