Re: Free Trading Seminar

At 09:28 AM 9/18/99 -0700, Ullrich Fischer wrote:
>What you report is very similar to what I experienced with WIN98 and
>TS2ki.  However, as soon as I upgraded to NT 4.0 SP5 and an AMD K6 400 CPU
>and 256 MB RAM, all these problems went away.   The 400 MHz processor is
>probably not strictly necessary because CPU utilization rarely hits 100%
>on my machine, but the RAM and the NT upgrade do make a huge
>difference.   Diskeeper 5.0 from Executive Software to automatically
>defrag your hard drive in the background helps prevent crashes.  You need
>at least 2 GB on your C: drive where TS2Ki needs to be installed.
>
>I had my first crash in 20 days yesterday.  I'm going to try rebooting my
>system once a week on weekends from now on to see if that completely
>eliminates crashes during the trading day.  Before I reboot, I'll set NT
>to automatically do a scandisk on bootup.  I'm also going to run
>MicroSoft's free REGCLEAN program before each reboot.
<snip>

I think the periodic reboot is a good idea. My trading machine runs NT4 SP5
and is never powered off. However, on the weekend, I do a tape backup and
"freshening" reboot. It NEVER crashes.

A reboot resets all system resources. Many programs have <small> memory
leaks (including some of Microsoft's). They can accumulate and eventually
cause problems. The periodic reboot, at a safe time, is preventative medicine.

Allan