Re: 2000i using Windows 98 vs. NT

I'm now at the end of my 2nd week of continuously running NT 4.0 SP5 on an
AMD K6 400Mhz 256MB RAM PC using build 591 of TradeStation (GlobalServer
and TradeStation only, I don't have radarscreen or optionstation) with no
crashes.  My machine has been up 24hrs x12 days.  In addition to
TradeStation, I'm running eSignal's datamanager and the charting
application with 5 quote windows displaying about 400 symbols. Eudora
email, Lotus 123r5, and 3 IE5.01 browser windows.  The final upgrade that
seemed to make this possible was adding diskeeper 5 from Executive Software
to my system and setting it up to automatically defragment my hard drives
between 1am and 6am each day.

This setup is as responsive as TS4 was but allows me to have over 30
workspaces open at once.  Each workspace has 3 charts.   GlobalServer has
about 500 symbols in its portfolio.  Between GlobalServer and eSignal's
charting, I'm following about 700 symbols in total.  Each chart has 1 or 2
symbols and from 3 to 7 indicators.  With TS4 on WIN98, I was crashing on
average once a day.  With TS2ki on WIN98 with a P-233 and 128MB of RAM, I
was crashing every couple of hours during trading hours -- and unlike with
NT, a crash would typically require me to reboot my PC.

Going to NT made a huge difference.  Getting diskeeper installed got rid of
the remaining twice a week or so crashes that I was getting.   Of course,
now that I've posted this, I expect my PC will suffer a dramatic crash
forcing me to reinstall the OS and TS -- one of the hazards of hubris.  :)

-uf