Win95 problem

Just the other day, someone here suggested a couple of
programs that could be downloaded to watch over the
installation of new programs under Win95 to prevent, or
at least warn of, replacement of common programs with
obsolete versions that would render the OS unstable--not
that it's particularly stable at best.

I downloaded a shareware program, being unable to find
the one supposed to be located on Microsoft's own
download site--and now that I need it can neither get into
the disk nor remember where I got the darned thing, nor
even find the printed message.  So...

Can anyone please tell me what these programs were
and where to find them?  I've just had to scrub my hard
drive back to the bare silicon, loaded the version of Win95
that came with this Compaq laptop, and need to start
restoring the software I've lost.  But this time I'd like to
watch over the installation process a little better.  Last
time, the thing wound up buggier than I would have thought
possible (if this OS weren't a Microsoft product!)

Many thanks.

Owen Davies