Re: Dark Hacker's software problem

  • To: hacker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Dark Hacker's software problem
  • From: IBM <bmaltz@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 11:38:35 -0500 (EST)

To all of you with unexpected software glitches that occur AFTER installing a new program, you
might want to consider getting a copy of a shareware program called SafeInstall from the
following URL:

http://www.iwinsoftware.com

I am NOT affiliated with this company, although I did purchase a license for this Shareware (yes
the shareware concept does work).  This program sits in the background and monitors your system
files and notifies you when system files are overwritten by another copy of the same filename.
It first stores a backup of the file that was overwritten and then presents you with each of the
2 files' date of origin, date of modification/installation (on your system), file size, and
version number.  You then compare file info and determine if the newly installed file is
actually newer than the "old" file.  Check out this program.  It saved my butt recently when I
installed a demo version of Bill Williams' Investor's Dream.  The I.D. demo overwrote 2 system
files (one of which was actually an OLDER version of the file I already had installed on my
computer.  SafeInstall gave me the opportunity to replace the newly installed OLDER version with
the NEWER version that had been on my system before installing the I.D. software.

Because I often test new programs on my PC, I don't know how my system (without a program like
SafeInstall) survived so long without getting totally corrupted.

Anyway, good luck with you software installations.

Ben Maltz