Trading Mutual Funds

Heya,

If this is too far off topic I apologize.

I have never traded mutual funds but would like to learn some of the ins
and outs to see if it's practical for my situation. Can someone(s)
currently trading MFs comment on:

* any limitations (eg max number of trades/year, trade size ($), etc)

* better to trade directly thru MF company (eg Vanguard) or thru
  a broker (eg Waterhouse)?

* recommendations for particular MFs to trade? particular MF Cos to deal
  with?

* when is a trade actually executed relative to when the order is put in?
  for example, if I call before noon EST will I get that day's closing
  price? or do I have to wait til the next day?

* recommendations for particular brokers?

* any horror stories?

* commissions

Any info is appreciated.

Bill