EURO

Gerrit,

I've been considering this problem myself. I consider the Euro as a new
product. It has existed for several years but the volume of trades in its
futures market was too insignificant to give good data.

Surely the fact that the Euro will incorporate the franc, the guilder and
whatever as well as the DMark will mean that the bunds, the euromarks, the
Pibor etc etc when denoted in Euros will be different products from their
former incarnations denoted in marks or francs or whatever even after
currency conversion.

I think backtesting on historical bund data denoted via conversion of DM to
Euro will not give you realistic results. The Euro will be too different.
I'm open to discussion!

regards
Adam

TS will not be EURO-ready unless Omega comes up with a patch until
the end of the year - backtesting will not be possible. Please put
pressure on them.

As mentioned before many Europaen instruments will convert to Euros
on the 1st of January. Furthermore many instuments like currency
futures will disappear and be replaced by Euro futures. This means
that symbol histories in TS will need to be converted into Euros
otherwise backtesting is not possible.

1 In theory the conversion can be done with the stock-split function
in the server. However the input field allows only for 5 digits
whereas the Euro conversion involves 7 digits by law.

2. In order to get proper OTC forex Euro histories it is necessary to
convert for example USDDEM histories into EURO histories. BUT the
dealing convention will be EURUSD. This means that the history needs
to INVERTED. THIS IS NOT POSSIBLE IN TS.

I have already communicated with tech-support regarding this matter
but they have not come up with an answer that this problem will be
solved - the are simply clueless.

I therefore suggest that AS MANY AS POSSIBLE users of TS communicate
this problem to techsupport and Bill Cruz otherwise we will be stuck
with useless histories on many instruments.

Please demand that histories can be inverted in the server and that
splits can be done with 7 digits and not just 5 digits UNTIL the 1st.
of January 1999. (These changes are trivial and just involve a few
man-hours of programming)

The relevant authorities are:
Mr. Cruz and techsupport.
officeofthepresidentmegaresearch.com