Re: Level II

A.J.

When I traded L2 it was about $2500/ month (with minimum commissions) and
was only available via a few Brokers who were set up for it.  The
accompanying Frame Relay equipment to support it cost about $3000 to set up
and about $300/month to maintain.  I haven't checked out any of the Internet
L2 ECNs, but I've heard from other traders that they're slow and
unpredictable and the lag is not detectible until you're filled (or not
filled) somewhere way outside of the spread represented on L2.

I found the supply/demand data to be useful sometimes and useless other
times because you never knew whether or not an MM was truly representing the
actual paper they were holding.  It was not unusual to see a MM representing
1000, only to replace it over and over again as the 1K lots were foisted off
on the unsuspecting.

When you see the classic imbalance lining up that the original SOES bandits
attempted to trade, how do you know if its real or another fake? -- I
estimated that it was about 50/50 and if you took the bait you could easily
be underwater by several thousand dollars before you discovered that the MMs
were rolling in the isles laughing.

At 05:44 AM 8/24/98 -0300, you wrote:

>I cannot imagine anyone choosing to trade NASDAQ stocks without the benefit of
>L2.  Basically, all L2 consists of is a detailed listing of the various
MM's and