Re: The Substance Not Seen: Trading Chaos

  • To: redeemed10@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: The Substance Not Seen: Trading Chaos
  • From: Carroll Slemaker <cslemaker1@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Aug 1998 19:15:39 -0400 (EDT)

You wrote:

> My premise is that order cannot appear out of disorder.

This simply is not true.  "Order" and "disorder" are largely subjective
concepts.  Although these terms are often used in connection with
entropy, the latter deals, more accurately stated, with probability.
Dynamic systems tend to evolve into more PROBABLE states, and such
states do not always correspond with our subjective notions of
"disorder".

Consider, for example, the behavior of a container of supercooled water,
or one of super-saturated salt, when disturbed.  The "disordered"
substance (liquid) quickly transforms into a highly ordered substance
(crystaline solid).  Many other examples of such self-organizing systems
could be provided.

Carroll S.