McClellan Oscillator

The McClellan Oscillator and the McClellan Summation both have a fundamental
problem:  they rely on the difference between two exponential moving
averages of advancing and declining issues.  As we all know, there has been
a steady increase in the number of issues traded on the NYSE.  Therefore,
the Oscillator and Summation indices are moving faster and to greater
extremes simply because more issues are traded.

The McClellan's who developed their indicators recognize this problem.
Although it's not widely publicized, a simple change in definition solves
the problem.  Don't subtract the difference between the two exponential
averages, divide the faster MA by the slower MA.  These "adjusted"
indicators are far more valuable to anyone who is looking at the indicators
over many years.  For short term traders, it probably doesn't make a
difference as long as they know that extreme values are more easily reached
due to the greater number of issues traded.

This adjustment is similar to using a rate of change indicator vs. a
momentum indicator.

Ross Kovacs