Subject: Re: More E-Trading Hassles
Author: Keith Paulson
Date:  8/18/98 11:28 AM

Windows 95/98 users have a couple of useful tools at their disposal for
troubleshooting internet problems such as this.  These tools are called
"ping" and "tracert".  To use these network tools requires you to type some
simple commands at the dos prompt. Both ping and tracert can be used with
any valid host name.  For example the LEOWEB order server host name is
205.231.43.200 and the fill server host name is 205.231.43.202.

Type "PING 205.231.43.200" at the MS-DOS Prompt. If you see a message that
says "host unreachable" then the LEOWEB order server is currently offline.
Otherwise you will see some messages that show round-trip times for the
"ping" packets you just sent to the server.

Now suppose you determined that the LEOWEB order server is up and running,
but your "ping" command gave you some strange results like "20 % loss".
Type "TRACERT 205.231.43.200 at the MS-DOS prompt.  You will then see a
list of messages showing the names and addresses of every "hop" to the
remote host and the round-trip times of the packets to/from each one.  If
any asterisks (*) show up, thse indicate that packets are being lost in the
transmission.  Even if the connection is reliable (no asterisks) the
round-tip times could be unusually large.  This could indicate that there
is lots of traffic on the "information superhighway" at this particular time.