RE: Value and margin

Hi Gerald,

One contract of the S&P Futures is $250.00 X Index, so if the June S&P
contract is at 1,120, the value is $280,000.

Typical margin (Exchange minimum) for position trading the S&P right now is
about $12,500. Day trading margin is half that, $6,250.

So if you are day trading the S&P, you are controlling $280,000 with a
margin of $6,250, or $44.80:$1.

That must be what they mean by leverage...  ; )

The way they come up with the margin amount is a mystery to me. I don't
think it is a strict formula. When things get wild (ie. volatility
increases) they increase the margins and vice versa.

Neil