RE: The most significant event since man walked on the Moon!!!!!

  • To: "'omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: The most significant event since man walked on the Moon!!!!!
  • From: Brian Massey <bnm03@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Jun 1998 16:17:24 -0700

Tony,

The big company issue is not as silly as you think.   If you want to be
compatible with the rest of the world then you buy what everybody else is
buying. Being compatible with everyboyd else has HUGE advantages.  I use
Quicken for personal finances because my bank gave it to me.  Given, a
similar feature set, I would use MS Money if I had to buy a PF package
because it has a better interface and MS has the money to hire the QA
personnel to make sure it works right the first time.  Of course, if MS
Money doesn't do something you need, then of course you'd go with the other
product even though you had to suffer with other problems.

<you wrote>
"I buy whatever I need to accomplish a task now, and the hell with whether
it's going to be around in 6 months or 6 years or 6 decades."

This is a dangerous attitude.  Do you like wasting your time learning new
programs?  Do you like loosing sleep wondering if your old data is
compatible?  I want  1 product from a company that I know with fair
certainty is going to be around now and later.  I can then set to work on
really learning that software and getting the most from it now and later.
 If you were a programmer realying on Turbo Pascal (or even Delphi) to put
food on the table you would have died a long time ago. However, since I
knew MS Basic, Visual Basic was easy to learn and I'm a fat cat since all
the major companies (read: deep pockets) want VB programmers.

<you wrote>
"TradeLab (no s) has far less risk now than TS because TL is Y2K compliant,
and for the next 3 million years, according to Bob Brickey. <G> And TL will
give a professional trader a superior edge.  On the other hand, without
upgrades, TS dies on Dec. 31, 1999.  And the Y2K patch is in the realm of
vaporware... "

Why does Y2K compliance equate to less risk in your mind?  Seems to me the
larger company with a larger installed base has a GREAT DEAL more to loose
by not supplying Y2K compliance than a small start up like TradeLabs (or
whatever the company is called).    And don't think for a second that TS5
isn't going to be Y2K compliant and that the patch for TS4 won't be out in
PLENTY of time.   Right now, I don't really care about it because that's
1.5 years off in the future.  It can be fixed as quick as a download and an
install.

<you wrote>
"If someone is so worried about BB being around in the future, then I
suggest that you do as I did and do some research first.  Bob's been
developing high tech software for business and US Goverment (high security
installations...nuke labs) almost forever. "

I'm sure bob's a genius and has tons of money.  How long will he stick
around if this doesn't turn out to be a profitable venture?  That remains
to be seen. Time will tell. He's not doing this for charity.  I don't think
bob's brilliance is a good indicator of weather or not he'll succeed.  It
doesn't take a phi beta cappa to develop great software or drive a company.
 What it does take is marketing $$$, a superior product (development $$$),
all delivered at a better price.

<you wrote>
"So I'm not too concerned about
his longevity or capitalization.  Few were concerned about Gates in a
basement or Jobs in a garage a few years back <G>"

Not worried about Gates? Jobs? How do you know?  Anyway, if you had bet on
Jobs you would have lost.  Big time!  How do I know?  Because I did.
 Consequently, I know Mac and Apple II assembly and not Intel assembly.  A
lot of good that does me, huh!

Good Trading,
Brian.