Re: Intra day data/ back te sting

In a message dated 98-06-02 21:53:20 EDT, CwWaring@xxxxxxx writes:

>  I am trying to backtest using 5min intraday data.  I'm on TS 4.0 b19.6.
>
>  1.I have collected the S&P contract since july 1997 by renaming the the old
>  contract to the new contract ie sp8h is renamed to sp8m.  The old data is
>  retained and the new data gets added/appended.  At least, I think that is
>  happening.
>  How could I determine the beginning and ending dates in such a file?
>
>  2.  when I apply a system to my files say the 5min SP I only get data and
>  system trdaes for about 14 days (12x8hrsx14 days=1344bars)( actually I
> should
>  note that I collect both sessions so maybe many more bars, but nowhere near
>  limit?).  This rolls forward each day or so, picking up the next day and
>  dropping the oldest.  I would like to have a much longer system history.

I think I have answered my own question.  In the data section of the file-
portfolio  and after double clicking the particular symbol the data collection
mode screen comes up - the quote + data history has a 15 day retention
default.  So, all this time I thought I was collecting a yaers worth of data I
was not.  Maddening.

Where could I get/purchase Tick data files (about one year?)for the financial
futures?  Will any other SP indices or cash serve as a proxy for continuous
data?  E.G., Could I get the SPY tick data? and use it as continuous test
data?