Re: Falure to establish communication & NT 4.0

  • To: omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Falure to establish communication & NT 4.0
  • From: Carroll Slemaker <cslemaker1@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 12:39:44 -0800 (PST)

I am running TS on Win NT and have been for quite some time.  I'm
currently using TS 4.0 running on NT 4.0 service pack 1 (I've read too
many horror stories about service packs 2 & 3).

I, too, leave NT and TS running for five or six days uninterrupted and
have NEVER had TS bomb out with a GP or any other fault.  I shut down
and reboot on the weekend, primarily to eliminate the consequences of
"memory leaks" (gradual increase in the size of the virtual-memory
requirement due to failure by someone - app or OS - to return memory to
the available pool when the app terminates).  Also, although I routinely
have several other programs running concurrently with TS, I am careful
to run TS in its own, separate memory space.

Communication problems are most likely due to subtle incompatibilities
among the particular hardware devices on a particular system, their
corresponding drivers, and their particular configurations.  I had to
buy a separate I/O card to get my system to work, not because I needed
another I/O port but because I needed a port on which I could configure
the IRQ and the interrupt address independently and which could use
higher IRQs.

Bottom line - NT is a VERY stable and dependable OS and handles almost
all of my old DOS programs very well (the only exceptions being some old
communications and backup programs - now discarded).

Carroll Slemaker