Re: Bond investing

<x-html><HTML>
<BODY BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF">
That's not an easy question - because it's partially a function of my views
on interest rates - and partially a function of the current state of my
portfolio.&nbsp; In general though - if I think we're at or near the end
of a rising trend in interest rates - and I find the rates attractive -
I'll lock in those rates with very long term bonds.&nbsp; If I'm sitting
on a pile of cash - and money market rates are unattractive compared to
3-5 years bonds - and interest rates are generally unattractive - I might
try to pick up some extra yield by going out 2-5 years.&nbsp; Since the
"great calls" of 1992-93 in the corporate and muni markets - I've tried
best I can to stay out of the latter situation.&nbsp; Mostly successfully.&nbsp;
Call me in 2000-2002 (when I have a lot of calls coming up) - and I'll
let you know how I'm doing &lt;g>.

<P>FWIW - this is an income oriented portfolio.&nbsp; I also trade zero
coupon bonds - and that's mostly an "all or none" proposition (either I'm
in the market in long term zeros - or I'm out of the market).&nbsp;&nbsp;
Robyn

<P>Richard Parsons wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>&nbsp;<FONT SIZE=-1>Robyn, How do you decide between
5 and 30 year bonds?</FONT>

<P><FONT SIZE=-1>I think the Federal Reserve have to make the same sort
of decision at the</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=-1>quarterly refunding. Will you be influenced by what the
Fed do next month?</FONT>

<P><FONT SIZE=-1>sincerely, Richard</FONT></BLOCKQUOTE>

</BODY>
</HTML>
</x-html>From ???@??? Wed Jan 28 18:41:44 1998