EL code - Normalizing data

Sheesh, all I wanted to do is create an indicator which
would plot data on a scale of -1 through +1 (otherwise known
as normalizing the data). This can certainly be accomplished
mathematically but I don't know how to translate it to EL
code.

Consequently, I made an "EasyLanguage Help Request" on the
Omega website. I thought it would be a rather simple matter
to write the code. I merely asked if they had the code or,
alternatively, how I would go about writing it. The
following is the response I received:

>>Dear Mr. Mazzulla,
>>TradeStation goes through the entire code for every bar so
>>before it gets to the last bar how will it know the highest or lowest value for
>>the whole data field?

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm in error but didn't
they answer my question with a question? Further, I'm not
even sure the answer or, more appropriately, question makes
sense.

Is coding this in EL such a big deal. I'd sure appreciate
some feedback from members of the LIST concerning this
matter. TIA

Best regards,
Jim