Re: Omega and Data

Bob Brickey alias Scientific Approaches wrote:

> > Given the manner in which the TS server stores tick data,
> > a bad initial tick can render all data for one symbol for
> > one day useless.
>
> That is true, but it should be pointed out that using that method of data
> storage greatly reduces the size of the Omega Server database file.

Great idea, but Omega should provide some reasonable recovery path
when the data is rendered useless by a (very) bad initial tick.

> > However, as Igor Uhrik has clearly defined to the readers
> > of this list on more than one occasion, there is a very
> > tedious process one can use with the TS tick editor to
> > "correct" such data.
>
> I haven't found it a tedius process.  It simply is necessary to correct the
> intial bad tick and then reload affected charts.

I don't remember questioning the correctness of any of your
many previous posts.  I think you are wrong this ONE time.
If you've got the magic trick, please, let's hear it.  Post it
to the list.  All stock traders will love you for it (figuratively
speaking)   :-)

I assure you changing the initial tick fixes only a few following
ticks.  I did not count them, but the number Igor posted was 60.
Stopping and restarting a chart, all of TS, and/or the server
will not propagate the correction through the data for the day.

> It only becomes a big problem if someone who doesn't know what to do tries
> to edit the wrong prices that follow instead of correcting the intial bad
> value.  That can create a terrible mess.  Omega doesn't need a special
> routine to fix the problem, they only need simple instructions.

I happen to still have the "bad" INTC data for 1/5/98 saved in a
*.omz file.  I will forward it to you (not the list, due to its
file size) momentarily.  I eagerly await a second copy of the
corrected data and/or an explanation of how you fixed it.  While
you're at it, please report how long it took to correct nearly
17,000 ticks.  For the only way I know to correct it, you have to
edit something between 250 and 300 ticks, figuring out exactly
what value to use for each of them.  Not hard, just tedious
and boring.

Of course you are welcome to ignore the data in the following
private message.  But if you indeed have a quick scheme for
fixing the data, please do post it.

Rod
--

J. Rodney Grisham, Ph.D.         ____  __   __
Technix Systems, Inc.             /   /_   /    /__/  /\ /  / \/