Re: Mirroring HD's

Dave Stanley wrote:

> What could be more convenient than having another
> duplicate HD ready to go if your HD fails in the
> middle of the trading day (or anytime for that matter)?
>
>   Bob Brickey suggested that one such company that
> provides a flex array mirroring system could be found
> at raidtec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
>   They haven't gotten back to me yet, so in the meantime,
> I've been calling around locally and was referred to a
> guy, who in very broken English, explained that all you
> need is 2 identical HD's with NT. The NT server (whatever
> that is) can be set up to accomplish this task.
>
>   Can anyone confirm or elaborate on this? And what is
> the NT server? I currently use W95 for my TS on a single
> PC.

What the guy told you is true.  NT stands for New Technology.  Microsoft
offers two versions of 32 bit Windows.  Windows 95 is a 32 bit version
designed for individual users.  Windows NT is a professional 32 bit version
designed to meet corporate needs.

Windows NT comes in both Server and Workstation versions.  Either can be
used as a workstation, but the Server version supports mirrored hard disk
drives and many other things that allow it to reliably serve data and
program files to a network of Workstations.  The Server version is
considerably more expensive than the Workstation version.  There are a range
of different license fees depending on how many workstations it is licensed
to support.

One problem, however, is that Windows 95 cannot be upgraded to Windows NT.
You can reformat the hard disk, install Windows NT, and then re-install all
your application programs, but you cannot simply upgrade Windows 95 to
Windows NT like you can going from Windows 3.11 to Windows 95 or Windows NT.
 That is because of fundamental differences in the way the two systems work
internally that make them incompatible.

  -Bob Brickey
   Scientific Approaches
   sciSciApp.com