Re: omega-digest Digest V97 #375

  • To: omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: omega-digest Digest V97 #375
  • From: Michael Chen <mchen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 05:56:20 -0800 (PST)

Tom Write,

>Jesus,
>Michael what are you doing at AIS Futures Management, LLC ? I don't want
>to offend you or anyone else - really, believe me - but I hope you are not
>responsible in any way to trade customer funds (based on your knowledge).
>
>My impression is that you are lacking almost completely the theory of
>Derivatives Pricing. (quote: OptionStation says B-S is used for this and
>F.Blacks Model is used for that....) In order to use financial software
>appropriately I strongly suggest you should take a course on the subject
>(see book recommendation). Keying numbers into pre-coded formulas not
>knowing what those formulas are actually calculating could lead to a total
>desaster!

>A very good book on the subject is John C. Hull's "Options, Futures, and other
>Derivatives". It is used by a lot of Universities as the 'standard work'
>as well as practioners. It covers all aspects of Derivatives pricing
>including an introduction to exotic options. Both Models you stated as
>well as others are covered.
>Best regards and successful studying,
>Tom

Thank you very much, Tom.  Your impression is amazingly accurate and not
offended me in anyways.

I am quite new in this field (as matter of fact, I started work in AIS 6
monthes ago).  My background is a Ph.D in ME and had no previous
experience in financial market.  I am currently working as a network
administrator, also doing data processing and research.  I am in a
process of studying the financial market.  Your speedy information
certainly will help me to cut my learning curve.

Best regards and successful trading,
Michael