Re: Prophet EOD data

  • To: omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Prophet EOD data
  • From: sstyers <sstyers@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 17:14:46 -0800 (PST)

Jim: Previously you wrote

> Subject: Data Vendors
> Date: Sun, 14 Dec 1997 06:34:10 -0700
> From: "Jim" <jamesh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: <omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Recently switched from Dial Data to Prophet Data (which is in
> Metastock format).  Futures data only along with Continuous and
> Noncontinuous contracts.  Prophet automatically sets up and updates
> any new contracts in each of the commodities.  All data is stored in
> c:\prophet\major\  then BP, BO, C, etc., etc.  and updated daily in
> these directories.
>
> The problem is how to set these up in the data downloader. Using Corn
> as an example, I can set up a "New Chart", call it Corn, go to the
> prophet directory and select Corn.  It comes up as "stock" "Chrysler"
> so I change it to Corn - CBOT Future but when I go to the month in
> Corn, it's back to "Chrysler".
>
> If I import these commodities into the downloader, how will they
> update daily?  Do I need to set up each and every commodity and all
> contract months (there are hundreds).
>
> Any help would certainly be appreciated.
>
> Jim

Forget the Omega downloader. Prophet has 3 methods of getting the data
to you: E-mail, the Internet and dial-up. Their software is called
Access 3.0. They have both Windows and DOS versions. The DOS version
works the best, although they are getting the bugs out of the Windows
version. All the symbols in whatever package you choose are updated each
day. All you have to do is create a chart for each symbol of interest in
SC or TS, etc. You do not have to select symbols for downloading.

They've gotten some bad press on the misc.futures NG as well as this
forum recently. Most of their problems can be attributed to growing
pains, but IMHO, you could do a lot worse.

FWIW

Sherrill Styers