Re: EL code for system exits

Craig Nelson wrote:

> If I want to see the name of the system signal that caused my trade to
> exit, on the Trade by Trade System Report, can't I just use the following?
>
> If some_condition = True
> Then
> ExitShort("Stop_Loss") This Bar On Close;
>
> My code won't verify and I'm not sure what syntax is allowed.  If someone
> could please let me know, I'd appreciate it.
>
> Regards,
> Craig

First, a general issue.  Many people ask for EL help on this forum.  Good for
them.  There are many on this list who are willing to spend their time to
help them out for absolutely no renumeration whatsoever.  As Hans says, I have
nothng to sell, no newlestter, no this no that.  When I take time to help I do
it because I enjoy helping other people.

However, it will help the likes of me if you submit all the pertinent facts.
For example, you say your system does not verify.  Why does it not verify?
The EL compiler tells you why - please tell us too.  (In TS 3.5, the error message
is posted at the bottom of the PowerEditor window).

Nothing looked obviously wrong from what you posted.  It is written using
different syntax than I would have written it.  So I rewrote the system into TS
in the way I would have written it.  Here it is in its entirety:

Var: SomeCondition (True);
if SomeCondition then ExitShort("StopLoss") on close;

The system verifies in TS 3.5.  Now I know for sure your system will not verify
becuase you have not posted it all.  I would dare say it is failing for some
reason that is external to the code you posted.  Are your variables declared
and declared with the right type?  (e.g., is there a "var some_condition (false);"
declaration?)

Sorry I cannot be any more specific but I hope all who post questions like this take
to heart what I said about disclosing all the relevant facts.  If you don't want to
post your system or it's too big to post, at least create a small failing case that
exemplifies your problem.  Then once you've generated a small failing case, feel free
to post it to the list.  That way, you are more likely to get help and will also learn
more about EL yourself and not be so reliant on others.

Chris Norrie