Re: BMI & YEAR 2000 PROBLEM

Bob Brickey wrote:

>This is not a legitiment concern.  BMI didn't send dates in the past.
>Someone said they do now, but so what?

I said I observed the time and date stamps in the raw feed before the data
was processed by the server.  It was in the YYMMDD format.

>Do you know if the Omega Server uses the dates BMI sends?

No. I don't know about the dates.  I know that BMI sends time stamps in the
feed and those are processed by the Server and incorporated into the
database.  I assume the dates as well.

``````````````````````````````
>When your computer shows 1/1/00, will you be confused and wonder if the
year is
>1800, 1900, 2000, or 2100.  I won't be.  If the Omega Server is confused it
>will be an absolutely trivial problem to fix.  Omega will fix it.  If they
>don't, I will send you software patch that will fix it,

The check's in the mail...post dated to Jan 3, 2000 :^))

>so relax and worry about something else.

Yeah, like trading <g>  And plowing snow...<G>

>...If there is a problem, it will be an Omega
>software problem, not a BMI problem.  BMI should not send four digit dates,
>because there is absolutely no need for them.  It would be a ridiculous
>waste of transmission bandwidth, because everyone on earth will know we are
>in the twenty-first century whether BMI tells some traders every few seconds
>or not.  It is a waste of transmission bandwidth for BMI to send date
>information at all, because we all know what day it is without them
>broadcasting it many times a day.  Why encourage them to delay the
>transmission of price quote information to repeatedly tell us something we
>already know?
>
>If you want to reduce quote latency, encourage them to not send anything
>that is already known.

What you are stating is precisely the problem and reason for my concern. I
keep hearing from techheads that the BMI data transmission format is
antiquated.  Suppose BMI decides to re-engineer their data transmission not
only to comply with the Y2K requirements but to compress more data into
their transmission bandwidth. Kill 2 birds with one stone.  How closely
will Omega and BMI work together on this?  And is this the reason for the
delay of the new Server and TS5?  I'm afraid that the engineering and
testing and re-engineering and re-testing will stretch into late 1998 -
early 1999.  I don't want to be beta testing BMI and TS on Jan 3, 2000.

You do what you can do, and I'll do what I can...send letters demanding
compliance and customer accountability.  If there wasn't so much secrecy
involved with the Y2K fixes and projected roll out dates for patches, then
may be we would not be using so much bandwidth discussing it!

BTW: Just received Omega's explanation for the new TS5 Server delay for
non- DJ feeds.  Interesting...

                Tony Haas

Even if you're on the right track,
you'll get run over if you just sit there.