Re: [EquisMetaStock Group] Vortex Indicator

  • Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 18:08:11 -0000
  • From: pumrysh <no_reply@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [EquisMetaStock Group] Vortex Indicator

For those of you following this discussion, here is a link to the Equis Forum's thread on the topic. It also provides the indicator that they proposed along with a system for testing:

http://forum.equis.com/forums/thread/31627.aspx

I also wanted to post another version which actually is faster than the one the authors in TASC came up with:

{Vortex on Steroids}
{Based on a Jan. 2010 TASC article}
{From equismetastock@ yahoogroups}
{By Preston Umrysh}
Period:=Input("periods",1,100,14);
ATRPd:= Input("ATR periods",1,100,1);
VMP:=Abs(H-Ref(L,-1));
VMM:=Abs(L-Ref(H,-1));
STR:=ATR(ATRPd);
VIP:=Wilders(VMP/STR,period);VIP;
VIM:=Wilders(VMM/STR,period);VIM;

The reason this indicator is faster is due to the difference in how the VMP and VMM calculations are handled. In the original version they are summed over the lookback period then divided by the sum of the ATR's. In the steroidal version above this calculation is preformed on a daily basis.

Another trick is the use of a Wilder's moving average which is very similar to an exponential moving average at half the lookback periods.

enjoy,

Preston

--- In equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Bob Waits <bobwaits2@xxx> wrote:

> Preston:
>
> Indeed this indicator deserves further studies. Wealthlab, for instance, uses ATR Trailing stop. And on S&P emini, the strategy was effective in entering and remaining in large trends garnering more than $33,000 in profits trading two contracts 24 times in the past two years -- this does not include slippage and commissions.
>
> And as you pointed out StrataSearch said that while the indicator was not very effective by itself on Nasdaq 100 stocks, as part of a system (combining with other indicators) the VI yielded a >35% annual return with >65% profitable trades.
>
> And TraderStudio said that the VI system was more profitable and higher Sharpe ratio than DMI on futures but the opposite on Nasdaq stocks.
>
> Thanks.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: