Re: [EquisMetaStock Group] Downloader shuts down

Thanks Roy!

I appreciate your suggestion of the compatibility mode change.  I
tried not only the "2000" but all of the others as well and nary a
one of them worked.

HOWEVER, a work around I did find was starting Windows XP in Safe
Mode With Command Prompt.  Trust me, recalling DOS commands from
probably 20 years ago really rattled the cobwebs.  But, it worked
like a charm.  So I'm going to say your idea of the "2000"
compatibility and mine of firing up in Safe Mode did the trick.  I
was able to convert a lot of intra day data from Excel to Metastock
and am now ready to start staring at charts.

Thanks again Roy for taking the time to respond and your suggestion
of trying the Windows 2000 compatibility.

Bart

--- In equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Roy Larsen" <rlarsen@xxx>
wrote:

> Hi Bart
>

> You seem to be describing a classic symptom of the DownLoader
and/or MetaStock running on XP without having the Compatibility mode
for the EXE files set to Windows 2000. I'm surprised that this
problem hasn't cropped up for you before now.

> The Compatibility mode can be set by right-clicking a Start Menu
item, a Shortcut or the EXE file and selecting Properties. Then click
on the Compatibility tab, enable Compatibility mode and select
Windows 2000 from the drop-down menu.

> Hope this helps
>

> Regards
>
> Roy

Metastock,
>   and try to convert data Downloader will run up to the point where
the
>   box comes on the screen showing the # of files converted (0) and
then
>   shuts down. No files are converted, Downloader closes, and I'm
left
>   with only the Metastock program running.
>
>   I have deleted and re-installed Metastock and Downloader three
times.
>   I've also run CCleaner to clean out Windows Registry entries. I'm
>   missing something though. After re-installing the program I try
the
>   Downloader and when asked for the name of the file to convert and
the
>   path to the directory for the converted data the information is
pre-
>   filled in the request box. It looks like I've missed some items
when
>   trying to delete Metastock and Downloader. I ran Windows Explorer
>   after uninstalling and can find no bits or pieces containing the
words
>   Equis, Metastock, or Downloader.
>
>   I'm running an old version, 7.0, of Metastock on an XP desktop.
>
>   Has anyone had Downloader stop dead in it's tracks and then just
shut
>   down when trying to convert data? Also, does anyone know of some
>   obscure corner of a system that would contain files missed during
>   uninstall? If anyone has any ideas I sure would appreciate
hearing
>   them.
>
>   Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
>
>   Bart
>

>   __________ NOD32 3526 (20081016) Information __________
>
>   This message was checked by NOD32 antivirus system.
>   http://www.eset.com

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: