Re: [EquisMetaStock Group] Re: Compression of Triple Moving Average Crossover

I favor compression over cross-overs.  Cross over trading is not profitable (one exception: long, directional trends).  If markets do encounter long trends, there are many better approaches to take advantage of the direction.

Although I favor T3's as substitutes for simple moving averages, here is a formula that you can plug your favorite MA into:

Abs(Mov(C,8,S)-Mov(C,13,S))+Abs(Mov(C,13,S)-Mov(C,21,S))

The compression is simply the distance between these moving average.  I'm not even sure if I've reduced the formula to its most common level.  I didn't take calculus until I was in my late forties.  So, maybe someone can improve on it.

I've attached a continuous wheat chart showing the forumula dipping near zero.  The formula DOES point to explosive burst to the up and down side.  Unfortunately, defining direction with this aide is somewhat of an art form.  But, for those of us that have monitored the "Compression Index" over the last five years, markets move directionally and with gusto....soon after approaching zero..

The superimposition of moving averages is a "screaming" signal that the market is about to move in a direction and that the direction will be powerful.

Hope this helps,

Steve