[EquisMetaStock Group] Re: Metastock Exploration Formula ... Using symbol lists

Hi Vincent -

It's been a while since I did a build of the symbol database. This is
from the Help file note that the second acceptable form is a list of
only tickers. You can copy/paste the list from Excel into notepad and
follow the instructions. Typically tickers not alrady in the database
are placed in alphabetical folders just inside the the main data
folder. You may have to distibute the tickers into the favorites by
hand. Depending on how you want to set up the original folders the
actual data and the favorites which are essentially pointers to the
data files will govern the process you use. If there is a way to have
yuour data provider limit the data streamed to you to be only stocks,
that would be the easiest solution.

Regards,
Ron

1.Open a new ASCII file in a text editor (e.g. WordPad, Notepad).
2.Type the list of securities to add to the Symbol Database using the
following format:

Example:
Microsoft,MSFT,NASD
Apple Computer,AAPL,NASD
Oracle,ORCL,NASD
Iomega,IOM,NYSE

If the security name contains a comma (i.e. My Business, Inc.), the
name must be surrounded by quotes (i.e. "My Business, Inc.").

There should be no spaces before or after commas.  Each individual
security must be entered on a separate line in the text editor.  The
<exchange> and <security name> entries are completely optional.
Therefore, the following format is also valid:

<symbol>

Example:
MSFT
AAPL
ORCL
IOM

In the example above, the ASCII file contains only one field per line
(i.e., the symbol).  Since the <security name> is not provided, the
Symbol Database will attempt to provide a <security name> from the
existing Symbol Database.  For example, since the Symbol Database
associates the symbol "MSFT" to the security name "Microsoft," the
name "Microsoft" will automatically be used in the <security name>
field.  However, if a match is not found for the <symbol> in the
existing list, the symbol itself will be used in place of the
<security name>.

You may use the time separator specified in the Regional Settings
found in your Windows Control Panel (e.g., 07:30), but it is not
necessary.

3.Save the file with the extension ".SYM" (i.e.  "Computer.sym").  If
your text editor adds the ".TXT" extension (i.e. "Computer.sym.txt"),
you will need to rename the file in Windows Explorer to remove
the ".TXT" extension so the Symbol Database correctly recognizes the
file format.
4.Place the symbol file in the same folder as the symbol database
file (i.e. C:\Program Files\Equis\The DownLoader).
5.Open the Symbol Database dialog or the Open dialog.  The name of
the new symbol file will be displayed in the Type menu of the Symbol
Database dialog, or in the list of available symbol types when you
choose the online data vendor shortcut in the Open dialog.

Be aware that only one instance - the first instance MS finds - will
be updated when you download data.

Regards,
Ron

--- In equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "jtvinz" <jtvinz@xxx> wrote:

> Hi Ron,
>
> Thank you!  It works! [:)]
>
> Is there a way to export the sorted list back to a favorite folder
in
> metastock?
>
> Best regards
> Vincent
>

> --- In equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "rsb_44" <rsb_44@> wrote:
> >
> > Vincent,
> > Bring the list into Excel and use the length function LEN(TEXT),
it
> > returns the number of characters. Then sort by that column.
> > Alternatively, if possible, limit the universe that you explore to
> only
> > stocks. Favorites folders is useful in doing this.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Ron
> >

> > --- In equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "jtvinz" jtvinz@ wrote:
> > >
> > > Dear All,
> > >
> > > After each exploration, the resulting list includes stocks,
whose
> tick
> > > symbols have only 3 alpha numerals, and also warrants whose tick
> > > symbols have 4 alpha numberals.  I want only the stocks in the
list.
> > > For example, the tick symbol for warrant YANGZIJIANRBECW71112 is
> BW2W
> > > and the symbol for stock YANGZIJIAN is BS6. Can anybody help me
> > > write a  programming formula to filter a list of stocks only?
> > >
> > > Thanking you
> > >
> > > Yours Faithfully
> > > Vincent

<*> Your email settings: