[EquisMetaStock Group] Re: Comparison of System Tests on Bull and Bear Markets.

Paul,

No need for apologies. One of the weakest components of Metastock is
its testing ability. Doesn't suprise me that you got different
results. Quirky is the only thing that you can say. Its one of the
reasons so much effort has been put into finding alternatives. I've
always thought that Roy came up with one of the most creative
alternatives. He used the explorer instead. I think it floored alot
of people to realize that you could test a system with the explorer.
If you're interested check out his Trade Equity program.

As far as the Trend Strength Indicator its combination of several
moving averages on a normalized scale. Thinking then of a normalized
scale what I see is that the system is profiting on as much as 75%
of a trend movement. Playing around with stops at the right places
might improve this system a bit. I do think though that you must
consider the basket of stocks in your selection process. Using the
S&P is okay but its really somewhat generic. A better method is
looking at the higher quality stocks in that or some other index.
That's where the relative strength studies come in. Of course this
opens up a whole new list of possibilities and candidates.

One more thing to consider is the drawdowns incurred with the
system. If your system has an extremely large drawdown can you
really afford the losses. Consider that if you just flipped a coin
inorder to make a trade decision and then could incur extremely
large drawdowns you could still make a profit over time. That is
unless the market just outright tanked.

Preston

--- In equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Paul Harris"
<paul_vicmar@xxx> wrote:

> Preston
>
> I ran the Combining MA and Trend test again on the S& P 500
> 1995-1997(August) and I got Per Gain of 48.47% 38 WIN 9 LOS. I ran
the
> test 3 times and got the same results. So sorry, the first result
was
> incorrect. Perhaps someone else would like to check it.
>
> Optimising Results.
> S&P 500
> 1. Zero Lag EMA - 5 and 21
> 2. Jim Greening Bin Wave - 3
> 3. Equis Stoch - 30 and 50
> 4. Equis Directional Movement - 34
> 6. Dema Trend Strength Indicator - 7
> 7. Combining MA and Trend - 50 and 38 and 8
>
> Soyabeans
> 1. Zero Lag EMA - 16 and 32
> 2. Jim Greening Bin Wave - 3
> 3. Equis Stoch - 45 and 50
> 4. Equis Directional Movement - 18
> 6. Dema Trend Strength Indicator - 19
> 7. Combining MA and Trend - 23 and 23 and 23
>
> Again apologies for the mistake.
>
> Yours
> PAUL

<*> Your email settings: