Re: [EquisMetaStock Group] Changing Symbol Names in Metastock Pro 9.0

Hi James,
Thanks for your reply and a Happy and Prosperous Diwali to you too.

Coming back to our little problem of changing the symbol names, all
I can say is that it's better to just apply the rename command by
right-clicking on the open dialogue box in Metastock and change the
symbol one-by-one, rather than scratching my head off to find a
shortcut!

I could have applied your solution, but the problem is that I have
datas too. So outputting the result, as you've suggested, as a .sym
file will only add a symbol look-up list only from where I can
create a fresh list of securities...right? It will not have the
datas that are already in there right now.

So, it's better to go the long-cut way, when there ain't any
shortcuts.

Chandan

--- In equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "James Cooley"
<laptop4u@xxxx> wrote:

> Chandan,
>
> I don't think there IS an easy way...
>
> Has someone come up with a way (or a tool) to parse the MASTER and
EMASTER files?

> I think I'd go about solving your problem by creating a list of
the securities you want changed -- just the ticker symbols and name
> (but that gets more complicated). You could create a simple
exploration to do that, then output the results to a text file.
Using a
> text editor with column mode (I like an old version of UltraEdit)
it's not too hard to cull the ticker symbols.

> Once you've got those, you can put that into Excel and use the
concatenate function to append whatever suffix you'd like, then
> output the file as another text file, and use the result to create
a SYM file to populate a new folder in the Downloader.

> As we say in America, I may be going around my elbow to get to my
ass, so if someone has a better method I hope they'll chime in.

> Happy Diwali,

Pro 9.0

> > Hello Everybody,
> >
> > Please guide me as to how I can change the symbol names of a
group of
> > securities( say about 3000) already existing in Metastock Pro
9.0. I
> > know I can change a single symbol by the 'Rename' command, but
doing
> > the same one-by-one for 3000 securities is a tedious job! I
> > desperately need a shortcut. Thank you.
> >
> > Chandan
> >

> > Yahoo! Groups Links

24 Hours. Commission-Free.