Re: [EquisMetaStock Group] Re: TradeSim Needed or not Needed?

Hi Douglas

I agree with Jose that The MetaStock Enhanced System Tester is a source of frustration and confusion. I also think that TradeSim is what you'll eventually migrate to if you continue to use MetaStock. Having said that, I think it's important for your own development in building and testing systems that you at least make the effort to find out what the EST can do, what its limitations are, and how you can navigate around the obstacles that frustrate many users.

There's an excellent article by Tom Sprunger in the archives that spells out a number of the EST issues and how to get around them. I've also addressed some of the issues in a series of articles for MetaStock Tips & Tools subscribers. With a better understanding of the potential problems it's not so difficult to avoid most of them.

There's a fundamental flaw in the way the EST tests systems across a portfolio or database. It essentially focuses on one issue at a time, and the portfolio result is merely the sum of the results of individual securities. This is not particularly useful because any system under test could present far more trades than most traders could possibly take. Therefore, the success of that system (in real trading) could come down to discretionary decisions made by the trader as to what trades to take and what ones to leave.

TradeSim, on the other hand, can test random entries up to the limit of capital available (Enterprise edition?) and give a much more objective measurement as to its viability in real life. The EST will not tell you that a particular system lost money for three consecutive years on a test over ten years of history. At least it won't tell you that unless you test your data a number of different ways. TradeSim can highlight the bad news with virtually no effort on your part.

Before moving to TradeSim, I think you'd be wise to at least make yourself familiar with the Trade Equity tools too. These are FREE, so for zero outlay you're going to learn more about using MetaStock, and you're going to have an alternative way of inspecting system test results. Trade Equity processes securities one at a time, just like the EST, and it has far fewer "bells and whistles". Even so, for the time and effort that it takes to record one Excel macro you can see aspects of portfolio results that will never stand out when using the EST. There are additional TE tools available (free to MSTT subscribers only - sorry) that can plot a portfolio equity curve and the number of active (non pyramiding) trades at any one time.

To summarize. If you're serious about building your own profitable systems you'll probably need TradeSim to complement MetaStock sooner or later. However, abandoning the EST immediately and moving to TradeSim will probably limit your later effective use of both MetaStock and TradeSim (IMO). I'd suggest that you become familiar with the tools you already have at hand before you migrate to new ones. Developing systems is a process, not an event, and I'm sure that taking a little extra time along the way will bear fruit further down the track.

Just my thoughts since you asked.

Regards

Roy