Re: [EquisMetaStock Group] Re: Formula that produces an NA Value

Charlie

IsUndefined() will work to the point that it gives a 0 (zero) when the code is undefined, and a 1
(one) when it is defined. That's great if all you want to know is if the code is defined or not.

But hang on a minute. He already knows that, because he gets an N/A when it's undefined, and a
legitimate value when it's defined. In fact the IsUndefined() function is worse than the first
problem because it's incapable of giving any value other than zero or one.

The sad truth is that IsDefined() and IsUndefined() are crippled functions that solve very few of
the problems one would expect them to. Using them to enclose code restricts the possible outputs to
zero and one, and leaving the problem code outside these functions just perpetuates the N/A problem.

These functions promise much and deliver virtually nothing. The solution lies elsewhere.

Kind regards

Roy Larsen
www.metastocktips.co.nz
Free formulas and MS links