[EquisMetaStock Group] Re: Subject: Linear Regression / Linear Regression Slope Relationship

On 20 Aug 2004 13:28:09 -0000, "Lionel Issen" <lissen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>>OK, then please send me the spreadsheet or post it to the groups files.

I just uploaded to the File section an Excel file, GMSlope.xls. This
is for General Motors (GM) from 1 July, 2004 through 30 July, 2004.
Column A contains the dates, and Column C the respective closing
prices from my data supplier (US$). Column B is just 1 through 21,
designating consecutive bars.

I have calculated the slope three ways:
1. "manually", using the formulas I provided earlier:
	b=[(x1-xbar)(y1-ybar)+.......+(xn-xbar)(yn-ybar)]/
          [(x1-xbar)sq +......+(xn-xbar)sq]

	a=(ybar)-(b)(xbar)

Columns D, E, and F contains the calculations for the above "b"
numerator. Column G contains the calculations for the "b" demoninator.
Cell F33 calculates "b", and F34 calculates "a".

2. Using Excel's built in Slope() and Intercept() functions. The
results are shown in C40 and C41, respectively. The results are
identical to those from #1, above. I also calculated r, the Pearson
correlation, using Pearson ().

3a. I opened up Metastock (ver. 8.01). I first loaded 21 days of data,
1 July through 30 July. I chose 21 periods and Close to use in
linregslope(). The "b" result for 30/7/2004 is shown in cell B46.

3b. I then loaded all of my GM data, from 24/11/1992 through
30/07/2004. I again chose 21 periods and Close. The result for
30/7/2004 are shown in cell B47.

Results:

Manual calculations and Excel formulas generate identical results.
Metastock results are essentially identical to Excel/manual; the
difference between cell B47 and cell C40 is 0.00079%--insignificant in
my view.

If you want to check GM for fewer than the 21 periods, simply delete
the later date rows of the spreadsheet. If you want to test another
stock, just replace the Date and "Y" columns with the approriate data.

Harry

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/BefplB/TM