[EquisMetaStock Group] Re: Weekly MACD histogram

Hi Bill,

I know even less about the MACD histogram than you do.  However, I
think you can do this:

1)  Add the following as the last line of Roy/Jose's formula (below):

R-Z; {Histogram}

2)  Insert the indicator on your chart.

3)  Look for the line that is very different from the other two
lines.  This is the histogram.

4)  Select this line.

5)  At the lower left of your screen, select the line type as the
wavy vertical bars. (On my MetaStock, it's just below "Invisible".)
This is a histogram.

6)  The buy signal is when the histogram slopes up from below the
centre line.  The sell signal is when the histogram slopes down from
above its centre line.

In a formula (I'm just learning about formulas), presumably you would
say that when (R-Z) reaches its maximum positive value, the histogram
starts to slope up.  When (R-Z) reaches its max negative value, the
hist starts to slope down.

I hope this gives you something to think about, but I'd advise you to
wait for a response from Roy or Jose before you start anything
serious.

Regards,
Alan

- In equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Bill Saxon" <vondell@xxxx>
wrote:
> Thanks Roy and Jose.   What great websites.  I pasted the formulae
in and it works great.

> There is a mathematical formula that gives the slope of an
indicator, i.e. is a MACD line going basically up or down?  I have
seen reference to a slope of a regression line (if this is the same
thing) but nothing that could be applied to any indicator. I guess it
would use a P Array expression.

> Thanks again.
>
> Bill

Week counter" for the greatest
>   accuracy with any data gaps. Check it's accuracy against the
canned MACD() indicator on any weekly
>   periodicy chart.
>
>   Roy
>
>     {Weekly MACD - Close Basic}
>     {© 2004 Roy Larsen, rlarsen@xxxx}
>     {for use on daily charts with
>      Jose Silva's "Calendar Week counter"}
>   N:=Input("Daily MACD Signal Periods",1,19,9);
>   G:=LastValue(Highest(Sum(DayOfWeek()=
>      ValueWhen(2,1,DayOfWeek()),5))=5);
>   J:=Fml("Calendar Week counter");
>   J:=Abs(J-ValueWhen(2-G,1,J)); J:=G OR J;
>   K:=ValueWhen(1,J,ValueWhen(2-G,1,C));
>   X:=0.15; Y:=0.075; N:=2/(N+1);
>   X:=If(Cum(J>0)=1,K,ValueWhen(1,J,PREV)*(1-X)+K*X);
>   Y:=If(Cum(J>0)=1,K,ValueWhen(1,J,PREV)*(1-Y)+K*Y);
>   R:=X-Y;
>   Z:=If(Cum(J>0)=1,R,ValueWhen(1,J,PREV)*(1-N)+R*N);
>   R; {MACD}
>   Z; {Signal}

Service.

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511