Re: [EquisMetaStock Group] Reference a ticker in a formula?

I had
the same question and emailed Metastock Support.  Here is the reply.
I have used it and it works fine.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>METASTOCK SUPPORT REPLY
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>Unfortunately, although the Security Data Reference function, Security(),
was included in the End-of-day 8.01 program, the documentation for it was left
out.  Here is a copy of the documentation that is in our Professional
version:
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>

Referencing Securities with the Security
Data Function

The Security Data function allows a formula to
access price data for any online or local security.  This function can be
used in any of MetaStock's formula tools.Online securities are referenced by
including "ONLINE:" before the symbol.  Local securities are referenced by
including the full path to the security file.  If the security exists in
the same folder as the base security, the path does not need to be
included.  The symbol, including the path or online reference, is enclosed
in quotation marks.

To reference Microsoft's close as an online
security:Security("ONLINE:MSFT",C)
To reference Microsoft's close as a local security using the full
path:Security("C:\Metastock Data\Sample\MSFT",C)
To reference Microsoft's close as a local security in the same folder
as the base security:Security("MSFT",C)
The last type of reference is particularly useful if you use local data
exclusively, and store all of your securities in the same local data
folder.

For example, the following indicator displays a
30-day moving average of Microsoft's close on any chart, if your online data
vendor is active.Mov(Security("ONLINE:MSFT",C),30,S)
The same formula
could be written as:Security("ONLINE:MSFT",Mov(C,30,S))

Below is a sample
formula that comes with the Pro version of MetaStock:

SAMPLE
FORMULA
{ This formula demonstrates how to create an
Internet stock index (INX) using the new Security function. The stocks used for
this index include:

AMZN AmazonAOL  AOL Time WarnerCHKP
Check Point SoftwareCMGI CMG Information ServicesCSCO CiscoDCLK
DoubleclickEBAY eBayELNK EarthlinkINKT Inktomi CorpINSP
InfospaceJNPR Juniper NetworksRNWK Real NetworksYHOO
Yahoo}

<FONT face=Arial
size=2>Cum((Security("ONLINE:AMZN",ROC(C,1,%))+Security("ONLINE:AOL",ROC(C,1,%))+Security("ONLINE:CHKP",ROC(C,1,%))+Security("ONLINE:CMGI",ROC(C,1,%))+Security("ONLINE:CSCO",ROC(C,1,%))+Security("ONLINE:DCLK",ROC(C,1,%))+Security("ONLINE:EBAY",ROC(C,1,%))+Security("ONLINE:ELNK",ROC(C,1,%))+Security("ONLINE:INKT",ROC(C,1,%))+Security("ONLINE:INSP",ROC(C,1,%))+Security("ONLINE:JNPR",ROC(C,1,%))+Security("ONLINE:RNWK",ROC(C,1,%))+Security("ONLINE:YHOO",ROC(C,1,%)))/13)

I hope
this helps you get started with this function.

Robert M
MetaStock Customer
Support

  <FONT
  face=Tahoma size=2>-----Original Message-----

      Sender
      : vondell@xxxxxxxxxxxx

      Tracking Number
      : T200403140040Z395776

      Pool
      : Formulas

      Sent to
      : <support@xxxxxxxxx>

      Date
      : 3/14/2004 8:21 AM

  #38837

  I just received V 8.01.  I would
  like to write a Custom System Tester that references more than one price array
  to give a Buy signal.  Specifically it is when the relative strength of
  OEX/S&P > its 50 day EMA and the OTC/S&P > its 50 day EMA and
  when the relative strength of Small Cap Growth is greater than that of Small
  Cap Value as determined by an average ROC of (5 days+15 days+25 days+35
  days)/4.  I don't think I will have any trouble writing the formula I
  just don't know how to reference multiple equity or index price
  arrays.  I understood this was a new feature in 8.01.  I went
  through the Primer and didn't see anything on this, nor in Help.

  Thanks,

  Bill
Saxon
<BLOCKQUOTE