RE: [Metastockusers] Re: MetaStock 9.0 Upgrade

<FONT face=Arial
color=#0000ff size=2>It's a fairly controversial business decision for
sure.  However, it is quite legal according to the Equis Software Licence
Agreement.  When you buy a piece of software, you are actually buying a
licence to use that software.  The physical box, CD, manuals etc. are all
just peripheral.  If that licence says you can transfer the licence to
another individual then you can do so.  Equis deliberately removed this
clause in Metastock v7 I think it was.
<FONT face=Arial
color=#0000ff size=2>
<FONT face=Arial
color=#0000ff size=2>Metastock v6.5 had a clause "You may transfer the Software
and Documentation together with this License Agreement to another party, but
only if the other pary agrees to fully accept the terms and conditions of this
License Agreement and you promptly notify Equis in writing of the name, address
and phone number of the other party." (I have the Agreement here in front of
me)
<FONT face=Arial
color=#0000ff size=2>
<FONT face=Arial
color=#0000ff size=2>I think Equis are doing far more harm than good with this
decision due to stories like yours.
<FONT face=Arial
color=#0000ff size=2>
<FONT face=Arial
color=#0000ff size=2>Perhaps Equis might reconsider if we present them a logical
argument to discontinue such a clause.  The original user is not going
to make them any more money.  And if you can't purchase an
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>upgrade you're highly unlikely to purchase the full
software (again), data feeds (via Reuters if you choose to use their
data) or plugins from them.  And you're going to let everybody know of
your displeasure too.  The overall impact to them is
negative.
<FONT face=Arial
color=#0000ff size=2>
<FONT face=Arial
color=#0000ff size=2>I've personally found that having a more liberal approach
to software licensing generates plenty more goodwill.  For example, we
allow our data subscribers to download data on two PCs.  We recognise that
many people have two PCs (desktop, laptop, home & work PC, husband &
wife PC, main PC & backup PC etc.) and don't want to be a data nazi (no
data for you!) just because of the way that different people utilise our data
services.  Small things like this are essential when it comes down to niche
software.  We get most of our clients through reputation - referrals,
renewals and loyalty are critical to our business.
<SPAN
class=703041910-01042004><FONT face=Arial
color=#0000ff size=2>
Best regards,
Richard Dale.
Norgate Investor Services- Premium
quality Stock, Futures and Foreign Exchange Data for  markets in
Australia, Asia, Europe, UK & USA -<A
title=http://www.premiumdata.net/ href=""><FONT
face=Arial size=2>www.premiumdata.net
<FONT face=Arial