Re: Fw: [EquisMetaStock Group] USERS OF METASTOCK PROFESSIONAL

Henri,

Thanks for your reply.

I would like to be able to see 60 30 15 & 5 min intraday charts across the top 50 ASX option stocks preferably over a 60 day period (one month the minimum acceptable for my analysis). From your comments it seems I may not be able to achieve this using what seems to be a limited data base capability in metastock professional. I am attending a Metastock Seminar run by Paritech here in Adelaide tomorrow night and will raise this as an issue with them.

I would be grateful if anyone in the group has other comments. In particular if their is a method to overcome the data base problems Henri has noted.

I like Henri believe Metastock to be a very good charting package and remains my preference at this point. I hope someone is able to assist.

Regards

Occy Henri Amand <h.amand@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
sainvest04 wrote:> Having resigned my job to trade the Australian Options Market full> time I believe it is essential to get a package that will give me> accurate and flexible charting tools for real time data. This would> not be needed if I were simply to trade shares.Keyword: charting.> I would be extremely grateful if there is anyone in this group who> can provide me with some feedback as a user of Metastock Professional.Charting is what i use Metastock for. I find it the best product availablefor charting.But for me there is more to trading stocks than just charting. I personalyam a system trader. I trade mechanical systems and i do that purelymechanical. that means, if i use Metastock, i do it just for "fun". (letssay 1% of my trades is based on what i read from the charts)Metastock
 has a little problem considering tick by tick data. It's databasecan / could (no idea if it is upgraded in the latest version) only hold like64000 value's. This means if you would use minute data you would have64000 minutes (forgive me if 64000 should actualy be 65000 but it issomewhere in that neigbourhood) In an 8 hour trading day you will have480 minutes. This means you can only collect intraday data for 133 day's.Imagine what will happen if you use tick data. Lets say 30 ticks a minute ?This would mean roughly 5 day's of data. So it realy depends on whatyou want to do with it. Realy tick data ? Then watch out for this limitif you need more data (i like to do backtesting on months or years ofdata, as much as i have available)Because if you would collect tick data, this would also mean that youwill not get more than 5 day's of hourly bars etc.My conclusion: Metastock just has a strange database that is notaimed at
 heavily intraday traders. I do EOD charting with it and forthat it is absolutely fabulous.Greetings,Henri(sorry, i can not reply to the mailing list. Feel free to post my commentson the list so other people can respond)