[EquisMetaStock Group] RE:_[EquisMetaStock_Group]_My_metastock_doesn“t_know_how_to_add

Does anyone knows if MS 9 uses double precision?

bichodomatoRichard Dale <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

It's due to MetaStock's use of single precision floating point numbers.  It's a design limitation of PCs in general.

Even Microsoft acknowledge floating point number representation in PCs as a problem:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;78113
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/rounding.htm
although Microsoft seem to have used double precision floating point numbers plus some optimisation to significantly minimise the problems.

Basically, for large numbers you can assume that the final few digits will be inaccurate with MetaStock.  Single precision is accurate to around 7 significant digits.  Perhaps one day Equis will use double precision floating point numbers.

Best regards,
Richard Dale.
Norgate Investor Services- Premium quality Stock, Futures and Foreign Exchange Data for  markets in Australia, Asia, Europe, UK & USA -www.premiumdata.net

From: bichodomato67 [mailto:bichodomato67@xxxxxxxxxxx] Sent: Saturday, 27 March 2004 10:57 AMTo: equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: [EquisMetaStock Group] My metastock doesn“t know how to add
Hello,i“m using metastok 8.0.please take a look at this simple piece of codeerro:= 14 976 900+14 969 161;my metastock is giving me 29 946 060 for an answer.does anyone ever had the some problem?
		 WIN FREE WORLDWIDE
FLIGHTS - nominate a cafe in the Yahoo!
Mail Internet Cafe Awards

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor