Re: [EquisMetaStock Group] Re: How to remove 3 highest/lowest values in a range

JD

> Many thanks to you both. Even though I have been using MS for years, I still
> learn something new from you both. Hmmm...using the same name more than once
> is a neat way to sidestep MS 20-var limit in custom formulas..may try it
> some day. Just curious to know - did you learn this trick through trial and
> error? Roy, you *must* mention this trick in your book for the benefit of
> all MS users worldwide.

Thanks for your kind comments.

Some of the tricks that I know of have come from others but I think this one is an original (correct
me if I'm wrong Jose). As with every such discovery it was more perspiration than inspiration and
just a matter of trying everything I could think of to get around a particular situation, in this
case a shortage of variable names.

A chapter in "the book" is devoted to ways of sidestepping the MS 20-var limit, and I think the
re-use off variable names is by far the most helpful of these.

IMO anyone who took the time to work through the code of just one of my Trade Equity formulas would
come out at the other end knowing virtually everything I know about MS code. Most of the "secrets",
like variable name re-use, are there in plain view. Of course one would have to ask many questions.
One line at a time for 30 or so lines - how hard could that be? A few hours or a couple of days to
discover things that have taken me years to master can't be a total waste of time, can it?

I'd have to say that Jose Silva is the only person I know who picks up on most of my "tricks", and
he usually goes one better or had done so before even I thought of it. I've learnt a lot from him.

Here's a tip that came up on another forum a couple of days ago.

Alert( expression ,1) does not actually extend "expression" at all, as is suggested by the user
manual.
Alert( expression ,2) will extend "expression" by one period only, not two.

It's a trivial thing really, but how many people use the Alert() function and believe that it
extends an expression by the amount of periods specified.

Roy