  >From:
  <A title=kevin_barry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  href="">Kevin
  To: <A
  title=Metastockusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  href="">Metastockusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  Sent: Monday, March 22, 2004 4:02
PM
  Subject: Re: [Metastockusers] high
  volatility
  Hello Fulvio,Here is the standard measure of
  volatility, 20 day volatility in this case:Std(Log(C/Ref(C,-1)),20) *
  Sqr(365)*100You can plot it as an indicator and judge for yourself
  what is low volatility in your book. One equity's high volatility will not be
  the same for another. Therefore, you need to scan for low RELATIVE volatility
  rather than low absolute volatility. You can change 20 to a different period.
  Also, a lot of people use the number of trading days in the year (250-ish)
  rather than the number of calendar days for the calculation.Here is a
  less sophisticated approach but it works for me.Create these two
  indicators (call them what you like):KB Volatility HHV-LLV 10: ((
  HHV(H,10 ) - LLV(L,10))/C) * 100KB Volatility LLV Year HHV-LLV 10: LLV(
  Fml("KB Volatility HHV-LLV 10"),253)Exploration:ColA: 5%
  LowFml("KB Volatility HHV-LLV 10") <(1.05*(Fml("KB Volatility LLV
  Year HHV-LLV 10")))ColB: 10% LowFml("KB Volatility HHV-LLV 10")
  <(1.10*(Fml("KB Volatility LLV Year HHV-LLV 10")))Etc.
  etc.This exploration identifies equities where the 10 day trading
  range is within 5% or 10% of the 10 day trading range for the year. Amend to
  suit yourself.I hope that helps you. If you're an options trader, it's
  a decent way of identifying potential strangle
  candidates.Regards,KevinAt 11:58 22/03/2004